Screening for Depression
If you suspect that you might suffer from depression, answer the questions below, print out the results, and share them with me when you call about seeing me, or when you come for an appointment.
**Over the last two weeks, how often have you been bothered by any of the following problems?**
Not at all Several days More than half the days Nearly every day
1. Little interest or pleasure in doing things
2. Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless
3. Trouble falling or staying asleep, or sleeping too much
4. Feeling tired or having little energy
5. Poor appetite or overeating
6. Feeling bad about yourself—or that you are a failure or have let yourself or your family down
7. Trouble concentrating on things such as reading the newspaper or watching television
8. Moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed? Or the opposite—being so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual
9. Thoughts that you would be better off dead or of hurting yourself in some way
If you clicked on any problems above, how difficult have they made it for you to do your work, take care of things at home, or get along with other people?
__Not difficult at all ____Somewhat difficult ___ Very difficult ___ Extremely difficult
Based on Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) Developed by Drs. Robert L. Spitzer, Janet B.W. Williams, Kurt Kroenke, and colleagues, with an educational grant from Pfizer Inc.